Saturday, June 24, 2006

Everything

The band Everything is one of those that never fit any mold. If I had to name a band that they remind me of, it would be Spin Doctors with tons more horns. I only saw them live once but they had a ton of energy. The thing that amazed me most about the band was that everyone played more than one instrument with the exception of like the bass player. Someone playing guitar would grab a tenor sax, someone else would grab a trombone and another an alto sax. And this wasn’t a switch up in between songs this was during songs! As I understand it Everything formed at James Madison University when they were students. After graduation they moved to Washington, D.C., and became a regional act. They put out 5 or 6 albums and I have two of those. The self-titled live album and Super Natural. Their biggest song was definitely Hooch from that album and it landed on the Water Boy Soundtrack. After about 2000 there was dramatic decline in their touring and output. I used to check their website frequently but it seldom changed. After checking it to see if I could post it for this article I find that they are back together and are promoting a new album. They explain that they were on a long hiatus due to a list of reasons. They were a great band…a very talented band and I'm sure they still are. I mentioned previously that Dave Slankard and Nate Brown played on Gibb’s album Walking Away. Gibb played on this live album that Everything put out in 1996. And if you look closely at Gibb’s website you’ll see that it is created by Slankard. Anyway, I give this live album by Everything two big thumbs up. Go support this band that has not been accesssible for awhile. There are so many jambands out there worthy of seeing but most are a variation on some familiar theme. Not so with Everything...they are unique. Go check them out.

2 Comments:

Blogger jambander said...

I'll try to get you something to listen to the next time I see you. May or may not be your cup of tea. Do you like the Spin Doctors?

12:59 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Please don't send any Everything this way. Haven't you sent enough Phish already? Haven't you done enough damage? Just come sit my house on fire, for pity's sake. ;)

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home