Saturday, June 24, 2006

Sun Tangled Angel Revival (S.T.A.R.)

Gibb Droll has had a long-standing collaborative relationship with Kevin Kinney. Kinney is most known for his days in Drivin’ and Cryin’ and the song Fly Me Courageous. I never cared for that song and never ventured to discover anything more about Drivin’ and Cryin’. My interest was heightened, however, when I discovered that he and Gibb were close. When I found out about S.T.A.R. I immediately ordered the album. It was totally different from what I was expecting. It’s best characterized as Alt Country, I suppose. If that’s another term for damn good songwriting, then that’s what it is. Gibb makes himself known on this album in a very controlled way. He doesn’t overpower any of the songs but his presence is there when it’s needed. I’ve come to really enjoy Kinney vocals. It fits this style of music very well and his lyrics are very deep. I’m very impressed with what they achieved on this album. I hope that more people discover this album and give it the exposure that it deserves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home