Saturday, July 01, 2006

Norman Blake

Norman Blake is one of those artists that is profound, prolific and doesn’t need my help boosting his career. Still, I would like to mention my fondness of the album Far Away, Down On A Georgia Farm. This 1999 album by Blake, which was his 28th album release, was also nominated for a Grammy. That’s not what impresses me about this album. Since I was a little kid I’ve had a soft spot for folk music and no one can touch that in my heart like Blake can. It’s hard to pigeon-hole Blake. Is he bluegrass, folk, Old Time, Americana? I’ve heard him described as all of those. He is a true amalgam of these genres. He may touch on each of these genres all within the same song. But the reason that I love this album is because he covers all types of moods and songs. The title track is particularly heartwarming. As I heard it, this song was written for Nancy, Blake’s wife. At the time it seems that Nancy had left Norman and this song was his way of reaching out to bring her back home. Apparently it worked. It exemplifies the sincerity that Blake brings in his voice. If you like Blake you’re probably familiar with this album and these songs. If that’s the case, then I’m preaching to the choir. If you don’t know who Blake is you owe it to yourself to find out. Particularly if you’re a Jambander who has heard the Dead and SCI do tons of folk and bluegrass covers. You need to go back to the source and here it from a professional like Blake. And if you do that, go back a little further and pick up Blake’s groundbreaking album Back Home In Sulfur Springs. It was released in 1972 and introduces “newgrass”, in my opinion, with the track Warp Factor #9. Before Grisman, before Newgrass Revival, before Bela stepped onstage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home