Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

Of Hendrix’s three studio albums, Electric Ladyland stands out as the most complex in writing and production. Hendrix employed several effects that I don’t think had ever been used. First, he uses the Leslie effect of panning between left and right channels to get a swirling sensation. He also starts using the univibe in conjunction with his trademark wah pedal. He uses the Tycho Brae Octavia. This combined with his Fuzz Face distortion pedal and his Marshall amps give the sound he’s famous for.

The interesting intro into this album sets the mood that carries throughout. The album has continuity, save for the few songs written by Noel Redding. Of course, the two songs everyone is familiar with are ‘All Along The Watchtower’ and ‘Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)’. This album has a fuller sound than the other two studio albums. Part of this is because Hendrix brought in lots of people to record. He had his own studio for this album and that meant that he had access at anytime with anyone to go in and record or produce.

I think this album more accurately represents what Hendrix had in his head and was trying to express to the world. My favorite track on the album is the fourth track – ‘Voodoo Chile’. Not the familiar ‘Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)’. This track has the greatest tone of any guitar setup I’ve ever heard. This sets the standard for tone to my ears. Stevie Winwood is great on the organ, also. Out of 10 stars, this one goes to 11.

Editor’s Note: The picture that accompanies this blog hangs in my living room. It was printed in Germany and was purchased by my father when he was stationed in Germany during the Vietnam War in 1971. It’s in color but I switched it to B&W. I also threw a copyright on it. Reason being I don’t want it posted all over the net. I’ve searched the net high and low for this poster or the picture it was printed from. I’ve never found it. Also, Electric Ladyland is not my favorite Hendrix album. That title is held for Band Of Gypsies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home