Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Progression Circle m6/m3

I had a music theory idea that I want to play with and see if I can get a song out of it. It’s born out of the concept of the circle of fourths and fifths. And I was wondering if I could circle a combination of two intervals. The two that came to mind were a minor 6 and a minor third. Or, in relation to the root, it would be I-vi-VII. The VII would then become the new tonic and you would move another m6, and a m3 in relation to the m6. So, I worked this out in the key of C. The progression would be

C-G#-B-G-A#-F#-A-F-G#-E-G-D#-F#-D-F-C#-E-C-D#-B-D-A#-C#-A-C

The thing that stands out is that all of these notes appear twice but the period between when they come up a second time varies.

C Twice 17
G# Twice 7
B Twice 17
G Twice 7
A# Twice 17
F# Twice 7
A Twice 17
F Twice 7
E Twice 17
D# Twice 7
D Twice 17
C# Twice 7

The C comes up seventeenth for the second time. The G# comes up seventh after its first appearance.

The other thing I notice is that to get back to the original C, it takes 24 tones. How about using 24 bars to do that in? And how about using a rhythmic pattern that alternates? Maybe the first appearance of a note utilizes whole and half notes. Maybe the second appearance utilizes quarters and eighths. So that’s the starting point for my next songwriting session.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home