Friday, October 27, 2006

Trey Anastasio - Bar 17

When I first popped this CD in the stereo I imagine my response was like many other Phish fans…”This is absolutely horrible!” The first song is so strange…I didn’t get it. As the album goes on it becomes more accessible and about 3 or 4 songs into it, Trey starts playing some very listenable grooves. This brings about a serious point that I’d like to mention. Years ago it wasn’t uncommon for people to sit down and “listen” to an album. You didn’t put on a record and then have a conversation over it. You didn’t play it as background music or music to drive by to pass the time as you go from point A to point B. People have lost the art of actually listening to what an artist is producing. Anyway, I had some down time today with my iPod and I listened to the album with earphones. The whole album opened up and I got it. Trey has poured so much into the production of this album that it really is an amazing album. It’s not the “in your face” grooves that you can allow to subconsciously drizzle in...where you don’t have to think about it to get it. This album requires “contemplative listening”. It demands your attention or else you are going to shelve this CD and lose out on discovering what is obviously a labor of love for Trey. I imagine he spent a lot of time writing and producing this CD. Give it a listen with your full attention, like you would a good jazz album. I rate it as a masterpiece. The layers and detail, especially with headphones on, is mesmerizing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home