Thursday, July 13, 2006

Tuck Andress

I first saw Tuck Andress on a Showtime special about 15 years ago. He was playing with his wife, Patti, and Lee Ritenour. Andress is a jazz guitarist but he has incorporated fingerstyle to create something different from everyone else. Andress relies heavy on rhythmic bass lines while playing the melody simultaneously. The only guitarist I can think of that comes close to a similar style is Chet Atkins.

Andress does a lot of arrangements with pop or rock oriented songs. Some examples are ‘Little Wing/Castles Made Of Sand’, Santana’s ‘Europa’, Michael Jackson’s ‘Man In The Mirror’, and ‘Somewhere Over The Rainbow/If I Only Had Brain’…

Andress is one of those guitarists who have reached a level of ability few will ever know. However, he’s pegged with the albatross of being a jazz musician. He’ll never be a household name and he’ll never see the money that a Jessica Simpson or Clay Aiken will. That just doesn’t seem right. If people were awarded for talent instead of popularity it would definitely be a different world.

I have the album Reckless Precision and the Tuck & Patti album Love Warriors. Patti is an amazing jazz vocalist. Both albums are wonderful.

2 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

I remember you insisting to me once that Patti was the sexiest human being on the face of the earth. I wondered if you still feel that way. I always thought that Patti was a good singer, but I just didn't get the whole sex appeal. Then again, I've never understood the appeal of Edie Brickell, either. ;)

4:40 PM  
Blogger jambander said...

I do find Patti very attractive, just as I do Aretha Franklin. It's hard to deny Patti's beauty, though. Speaking of Edie, whom I've found many unattractive pictures of, I found a new album they just released. I've not had a chance to listen to it, but a review is pending. Stay tuned.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home